Attendance & Timekeeping
Greatham Primary School believe in working with parents to improve punctuality and attendance.
It is important to be on time. The start of school is used to give out instructions or organise work. If your child is late they can miss work, time with their class teacher, getting vital information, cause disruption to the lesson for others and can feel embarrassed which leads to possible further absence.
- The school day begins at 8.45 and all pupils are expected to be in school at this time. Morning registration is at 8.45am and it closes at 8.55am.
- All lateness is recorded daily. This information will be required by the courts, should a prosecution for non-attendance or lateness be necessary
- Arrival between 8.55am and 9.10am will be recorded as late. Official registration closes at 9.10am.
- Arrival after the close of registration will be marked as unauthorised absence code ‘U’ in line with county and Department for Education (DfE) guidance. This mark shows them to be on site, but is legally recorded as an absence.
- If a pupil is late due to a medical appointment, they will receive an authorised absence coded ‘M’. Please be advised that where possible doctors and dentists appointments are to be made outside of school hours or during school holidays.
If your child is absent from school please phone school as soon as possible to tell us why your child is absent, and when they are expected to return. The school phone number is: 01420 538224
. On your childs return to school please bring in a note to explain the absence.
As a school we are unable to grant any leave of absence during term time unless there are exceptional circumstances (i.e. a family funeral). Please see below our exceptional circumstance form.
Please also see the leaflet below on 'Information on Penalty Notices for non-attendance at school'.
If a child has any unauthorised absence during any formal examinations, testing or assessment as publicised via our school website or parent/carer newsletters this will result in the issuing of a Penalty Notice for non-attendance.